If you wake up tired, feel exhausted and irritable all day, or have trouble concentrating, you may not be getting enough restorative sleep.
Sleep apnea is a common but serious sleep disorder. Left untreated, it can lead to health problems like heart disease and depression.
Dr. Edward Narcisi of the Center of Dental Excellence in Monroeville, PA, can treat your sleep apnea and help you feel rested and healthy...
What Is Sleep Apnea?
- The most common form of sleep apnea, called obstructive sleep apnea, occurs when the muscles in your throat relax too much while you sleep.
- This causes your soft palate to narrow your upper airway, making breathing difficult and restricting your flow of oxygen. It can also cause loud snoring.
- Your sleep is then interrupted as you briefly wake up choking or gasping for air before falling back to sleep. This can happen more than 30 times a night in severe obstructive sleep apnea cases.
- There is also a less common but more serious form called central sleep apnea, where your brain stops sending breathing commands to your body. This condition requires the medical attention of a specialist.
- You may need to undergo a sleep study with a sleep medicine doctor in order to confirm a diagnosis.
How We Diagnose and Treat Sleep Apnea
How Does Dr. Narcisi Treat Sleep Apnea?
Once you receive a sleep apnea diagnosis, Dr. Narcisi may suggest oral appliance therapy to aid your breathing at night. This custom-fitted mouthguard helps sleep apnea patients at our trusted Pittsburgh-area dental practice to sleep better and feel more rested. This simple treatment consists of a few steps:
Oral Appliance Therapy
Oral appliance therapy is considered to be extremely effective for patients with mild to severe sleep apnea.
Check Out Oral Appliance Therapy in Action
5-Stars for Dr. Narcisi and Staff
Dr. Narcisi's office is excellent. The doctor provides exceptional dental care. JoAnne runs the office and schedules appointments in a most timely and efficient manner. Frani is the dental assistant who works so well with Dr. Narcisi. Our dental hygienist is Deidre. She does a great job of making you feel comfortable during teeth cleaning. The office is also taking all precautions during Coronavirus. The Center for Dental Excellence receives a five star rating from me, my sister, and my brother-in-law.View On Google
My family has been in the care of Dr Narcisi for our dental needs for over 15 years. His knowledge, skill, and caring manner far surpass any other dentist we have been with in the past. His staff is so welcoming and friendly, and together make it a wonderful experience.View On Google
Will My Mouthguard Be Covered by Insurance?
All plans are different but since sleep apnea is a medical condition, most plans will partially or fully cover a mouthguard. Dr. Narcisi's friendly and knowledgeable staff will do everything they can to get you the maximum coverage available. If there are out-of-pocket costs, Dr. Narcisi proudly offers convenient financing through CareCredit®, because he believes that budgetary concerns should not rob you of a healthy, restful, good night's sleep.