Dental Care Services for Teens
Preventive treatments are very important when it comes to dental care for teens. However, teens may experience oral health problems, like tooth decay or an injury, that requires treatment as soon as possible to prevent further damage. At the Center for Dental Excellence, Dr. Edward M. Narcisi offers advanced restorative dentistry treatments to address dental issues faced by teens and to ensure a healthy, beautiful smile. Providing both restorative or preventative dental care for teens in Pittsburgh, PA, Dr. Narcisi is committed to helping each patient enjoy the confidence of good oral health. Let's take a closer look at some of our popular dental care services for teens along with tips to help teens protect their smiles.
Preventive Dental Care for Teens
Preventive dental care can help teens enjoy healthy smiles well into adulthood. Some popular dental care services for teens include:
- Dental exams and cleanings: Undergoing a dental exam and professional cleaning every six months is one of the most effective ways to prevent dental damage and protect a patient's smile. Dental exams are essential for identifying oral health problems early and professional cleanings can ensure areas that are hard to clean at home, such as the back teeth and along the gumline, remain free of plaque and tartar buildup.
- Dental sealants: Dental sealants are often recommended for teens as they provide the teeth an extra layer of protection from acids and bacteria, reducing the risk of enamel erosion and tooth decay.
- Orthodontics: Orthodontics can help teens with bite alignment issues achieve a beautifully straight smile. In addition to the aesthetic benefits of orthodontics, straightening the teeth can help alleviate jaw strain as well as improve oral health.
Restorative Dental Treatments for Teens
Unfortunately, teens can experience oral health problems that require immediate attention. Seeking treatment early can help prevent further damage and restore oral health. Two of the most common dental problems for teens include tooth decay and sports-related dental injuries. The following treatments can help treat such dental damage and restore the smile:
- Dental crowns: When teens experience dental damage, such as a broken tooth, as a result of an injury, a dental crown may be placed to restore the appearance and structure of the tooth. Teens who have had a large cavity or significant tooth decay may also benefit from dental crowns.
- Porcelain veneers: Teens with small chips or fractures to the front of their teeth can enjoy a restored smile with porcelain veneers. Porcelain veneers are thin, tooth-shaped shells that cover the front of the teeth to hide dental flaws and imperfections.
- Tooth-colored fillings: Dental cavities in teens may be treated with tooth-colored fillings. Tooth-colored fillings seamlessly blend with the surrounding teeth so teens can smile with confidence.
Dental Care Tips for Teens
By following these dental care tips, teens can enjoy healthy, beautiful smiles for many years to come.
- Brush after meals or at least twice a day
- Floss everyday
- Limit sugary foods and drinks
- Wear a mouthguard to protect the teeth from injury when playing sports
- Practice extra diligence with oral health when wearing braces
Schedule a Consultation
To learn more about dental care for teens, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Narcisi.