What Makes a Good Dental Implant Candidate?
Dental implants are one of the most revolutionary advances in restorative dentistry today. At the Pittsburgh dentistry practice of Edward Narcisi, Dr. Narcisi helps dental implant candidates understand the ins and outs of the dental implant procedure. For many patients, dental implants are the best tooth replacement option.
Who Is A Candidate for Dental Implants?
The dental implant placement process requires full commitment from patients. Dental implants are a permanent solution to tooth loss, but patients may require several procedures and a lengthy healing process before final results are achieved.
At the Center for Dental Excellence, a state-of-the-art Pittsburgh cosmetic dentistry practice, Dr. Narcisi consults each patient to ensure that he or she is fully educated on the specifics of the procedure and what to expect regarding healing time, results, and care of dental implants.
Dental implants are an effective and permanent solution to tooth loss. This restorative dentistry treatment is recommended for patients whose own teeth cannot be salvaged.
What Is Required of Dental Implant Candidates?
For patients in Pittsburgh, dental implants candidates include those who:
- Have fully researched every option in tooth restoration, including dental crowns, bridges, and traditional dentures. One of the number-one priorities in restorative dentistry is to save as much natural, healthy tooth as possible. This option works best for patients who have exhausted or eliminated less invasive, intensive procedures because of serious tooth loss.
- Have a moderate amount of jawbone remaining upon which the dental implant titanium posts will be attached. The jawbone will serve as the foundation for patient’s dental implants and should thus be strong and supportive. Patients whose jaws are weakened may want to explore bone graft procedures, which can strengthen the jaw. This procedure itself will require a months-long time commitment for healing and should be discussed with the patient’s restorative dentist.
- Are committed to a regular dental hygiene regimen. Whether they support dentures, crowns, or other prostheses, dental implants should be regularly cleaned and maintained to ensure dental health.
What Do Dental Implants Candidates Want?
Dental implants are the preferred dental restoration procedure for patients who:
- Want more stability to support dentures or bridges and have tired of using messy pastes or adhesives to secure dentures.
- Want a restorative procedure that revives the beauty of a patient’s natural smile. Dental implants offer unmatched support for some of the most natural-looking prostheses and even recreate the feel of natural teeth.
- Would like flexibility in a dental prosthesis solution. The titanium posts allow dentures prostheses to be removed easily by patients for easy cleaning.
- Desire to restore a shrunken or weakened jaw appearance. Dental implants, when affixed within the jawbone, can restore stability in the jaw and fill out sunken cheeks, which may create a more youthful, healthful appearance.
It is important for patients considering any restorative dentistry procedure to consult with their Pittsburgh restorative dentist to educate themselves and explore their viability as potential candidates. For a complimentary, confidential appointment, please contact Dr. Narcisi’s practice today.